Tuesday, November 11, 2014

What's Penny Wearing? #113 Vintage Uniforms

Today, Penny is proud to be wearing this vintage Red Cross uniform that I found recently at a thrift store.
 (At least, I guess it's a Red Cross uniform - or could it have been a basic nurse's uniform, and not necessarily Red Cross?
 I don't actually know. I only know it's most certainly vintage.)
It's a nice one - a long coat jacket with a sewn-on Red Cross logo:
 It was hanging on a rack with costumes, and I found it the day before Halloween when holiday items were half price.
 The date on the tag indicated that it had only just been put out on the floor that very day.
It even came with the hat!
 I added the little pin; I had that already:
It has nice detailing, and it has certainly held up very well over the years. It's still in very good condition:
And in honor of Veteran's Day, I also have a vintage wool Navy pullover shirt.
I actually found two of these, also at a thrift store:
(Sorry it's wrinkled, it was rather difficult to iron!)
Original label still intact:
And speaking of Veterans, here is a photo of our beloved Daddy when he was in the Navy:
Wasn't he cute?
Happy Veteran's Day to you all from the Gold Country Girls.

4 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

Thank you to all of our veterans. Love T

Sheryl said...

A nice tribute to our veterans. A big thank you to all who have served our nation.
Sheryl

lorlore said...

Thankyou Daddy and all who served!!
Love the uniforms!!

GSGreatEscaper said...

I think your uniform is for what used to be called a 'grey lady,' that is a volunteer aide who worked in a hospital. An adult 'candy striper' in fact....the pin is a blood donor lapel pin from a much later era.

We still have one of my dad's blouses and the 14 button pants from his WWII naval days - at 6' 1" and 160 lb it barely fits a tall skinny girl...