Thursday, May 21, 2015

What's Penny Wearing? #117 A Vintage Alfred Shaheen Dress

I found this formal-length dress at an estate sale.
A vintage dress by Alfred Shaheen, in a rather outdated style:
But the fabric?
SO cute in pink, with these little Kokeshi Dolls on it in aqua:
The Shaheen label:
I have written about him before - here and here.
I think that if somebody didn't like the style, it would be wonderful to "re-work" this dress into something different. You could lose that entire bodice, keep the skirt and use the fabric that was removed to fashion a strapless top of some sort?
 The sheer fabric on the sleeves could be made into a sash , perhaps?
Or you could make a shorter skirt and have even more fabric to work with in order to fashion a different top, somehow.
I'm full of ideas - in my head - but not so great with the actual creating part of it.
Because the fabric is too sweet to be unused, and unworn - you know?
I just like the idea of it being made into something fashionable and wearable - and I would surely reincorporate that label into it - THAT has to stay!
I've got to leave the work to an expert though.....
...that's just not meant for me to tackle.

4 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

Very nice. It would work for a Rose dress, even though the fabric isn't old fashioned, as long as it wasn't for the pageant judging. It is really cute. I like your ideas, but I hope if someone wants it, it would be for the whole thing, out-dated style and all. Love T

holli said...

I love that print! It would definitely be cute as a short skirt, or a cute scarf. or a quilt square.

farmlady said...

I think you ought to give it a try... you have so many good ideas about what to do and you're certainly creative. Go for it! The fabric is wonderful and I know that repurposing it would be challenging, but you should try.
I also like Holly's idea of making a scarf or skirt out of the fabric. Oh... so many possibilities.

Georgia Peachez said...

Totally dig that fabric. Plenty there to deconstruct and make something else. Maybe a simple chemise, lots of possibilities.